Saturday, June 26, 2010

Nokia X3 opening and Quick Review

I never tried a ”low-mid” segment phone from Nokia before, but having the opportunity to get my hands on the Nokia X3 was something I didn’t want to pass. I received the blue version of the Nokia X3 after an anxious wait, not that I wanted to use it as my main phone, but perhaps it was a little giant that would surprise me. The Nokia X3 is a really cheap phone, just 140USD and am sure that free with many contracts. The X3 has a 3.2MP Camera, Bluetooth, runs S40 and is an Xseries meaning that music is the big thing. Here are some pics of the Nokia X3 unboxing:

2010 05 07 16.05.16 1024x768 Nokia X3: Unboxing and Quick Review 
Of The Nokia X32010 05 07 16.05.42 1024x768 Nokia X3: Unboxing and Quick Review 
Of The Nokia X32010 05 07 16.05.57 1024x768 Nokia X3: Unboxing and Quick Review 
Of The Nokia X32010 05 07 16.08.59 1024x768 Nokia X3: Unboxing and Quick Review 
Of The Nokia X32010 05 07 16.09.20 1024x768 Nokia X3: Unboxing and Quick Review 
Of The Nokia X3

So what was my experience with the Nokia X3? Well, my expectations for this device weren’t high at all, I expected a good-looking entry-level phone with some nice features and decent usability. But right after opening the box everything just didn’t run as expected. Right after opening the device I obviously needed to take the back cover off to install the SIM card and the battery. This is when problems started. After not paying attention to the sticker explaining how to open the X3, I tried for 5 minutes to open the back cover. After I realized that I had done everything possible to open the X3, I resorted to the picture to find that the way to open the X3, was basically what I had thought. After another 5 minutes of trying to open the X3 I got really angry and just used force to slide the back-cover; it came off flying across the room in an abrupt movement. The back cover of the X3 is the most difficult thing to remove in the world, somebody could easily break the slider in the process having in account that the X3 isn’t exactly solid. So I proceed to install the SIM card, and unbelievably, same happens, took me another 5 minutes to dent my nail to open the idiotic cover to insert the SIM. Anyway, I tried to forget that since I know that someone who buys this phone won’t change batteries or SIMs frequently, so I just proceeded to play with the X3.

2010 05 07 16.09.41 1024x768 Nokia X3: Unboxing and Quick Review 
Of The Nokia X3

The X3 is a beauty. The colors and the design of the phone are very appealing; it is just a cool looking handset. But the X3 feels somehow cheap. It is made entirely out of plastic, and the type that is in the edge between good quality plastic and just average plastic. I would think that the build-quality and materials used are just a bit above average, just what you would expect in this type of phones. The X3 is durable, the plastic is resilient to any accident that could happen, the X3 can stand pretty much against all dangers that a phone could face. The screen, however, is a completely different story.

The screen of the X3 is the worst screen I ever saw in a mobile phone. It is not because it is small, it is because it is small but on top has design problems. After I turned ON the X3 I thought something was wrong with my contacts, I just saw the images on the screen awkwardly, like if my eyes were playing tricks on me. Looking at the screen of the X3 is like looking at one of those visual illusions that play with your eyes, they get your eyes out of focus and make you dizzy. Upon further inspection, I discovered why the X3 has this effect. The people that designed the X3 put the backlight in a way that when the user looks at the screen from the left angle, the screen looks darker, and when the user looks at the screen from a right-hand perspective, the screen looks lighter. Take a look at this pics and notice the difference when looking at different angles.

Share This Post on Twitter Just Click Tweet Button

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Share |